Hey hey! Happy FRIYAY!!! I am totally looking forward to this weekend, even though apparently it is going to be a rainy one around here, but I really can’t wait until tomorrow at 3pm. Haha. Do you have any fun weekend plans? I don’t, but I am looking forward to maybe catching up on some of the shows that are piling up in our DVR since we have been away, and spending time with my family and (hopefully) Michael!
I must say, this morning I am SO tired. Like tired as in I could fall asleep right now, standing at my laptop, typing up this post. I don’t really know why, seeing as I got around 8 hours of sleep last night, but my head is foggy and I am just feeling blaahhhh. Anyways, I tried my hardest to do the HIIT workout I had planned this morning on my treadmill, but it sort of just turned out to be a 45 run/walk kind of thing…better than nothing I guess though?! Even though I didn’t do that HIIT workout like I planned, I still got in a workout and added a 20 minute full body circuit afterwards.
Today I wanted to share something that I think might be of interest to you! I have had a couple of readers reach out to me and ask me how in the world my husband and I go on fun vacations every so often, so I figured I would share some tips on how I save money for these vacations!
Michael and I both feel like taking vacations is a priority in our lives. Whenever we are on vacation we spend time together, time together that we don’t really get to spend when we are home. We would rather spend money on these trips than spend money on other things that we may not ‘need’. I mean yesssss I do go shopping and I spend my money on things that I don’t really ‘need’, but when it comes down to it, I realized that I would MUCH RATHER go on vacations and have fun experiences and time with my husband than spend money on a handbag that I just so happen to want in that moment. So, without anymore rambles, here it goes!
How I save money for vacations
- Have a plan!
- Every week, I save money from my paycheck. Now I don’t know if you realize it or not, but putting even as little as $20 or as much as $300 aside every week can really add up, and before you know it you will have some money saved up for a special vacation! You know those little bank envelopes you get every time you take money out of your account? I have several of those labeled for certain trips/events/etc. that I want to save for, and EXACTLY how much to save up for those particular things. For example, if you know you have to save $1,800 in 6 weeks, you need to put aside $300 each week to have it all saved up and ready to pay off that trip. Or, if you have 12 weeks to save $1,800 you can put aside $150 each week. And bonus, if you are able to put aside more a week then you will have extra cash!
- Don’t “waste” money on everyday things like going out to eat everyday, now I don’t know if you can tell, but Michael and I hardly ever really go out to dinner (I’m not just talking about the $7 salad I get everyday, because that just doesn’t count). Going out to eat everyday adds up, especially if you add some fancy drinks (or bubbly) in there, your bill will definitely be more than if you just ate at home. And bonus: if you do hold back and eliminate dining out all the time, you will appreciate it more when you are on vacation.
- Along with not “wasting” money, live within your means. Like, don’t blow your paycheck on something you think you ‘need’ and then some.
- Obviously, I don’t take my own advice on this one, but you might want to cut back on your Dunkin’ and Starbucks addictions if you are like me. I mean, just cutting out one green tea a week can help.
- That super cute Tiffany & Co. ring you SO REALLY want? And that super cute Kate Spade handbag you think would look adorable on your arm? Hunnie, it can wait. If you really want to save up for a vacation, you don’t really need to buy all the things.
- When you do go shopping, have only cash to spend. It’s much harder (for me) to spend money when I am using cash. I can’t tell you why, but whenever I use my credit or debit cards, it’s like “free money” or something, haha. If you can SEE and TOUCH the money, it’s harder to give away!
- Sell some of your old things that you don’t use anymore! I actually got rid of a bunch of handbags that I no longer used, and even though it is sad to see them go, it felt good to get rid of the extra clutter in your closet and make some extra money too! And anyways, if you are anything like me, you can justify it by saying that since you got money from selling that handbag so you can totally afford something extra on your special vacation!
- Along with not spending money on things you don’t ‘need’, stop getting your eyelash extensions/nails done every two weeks. Now, girlfriend, I understand completely…you ‘need’ to get your nails and your lashes done, but maybe (like me) you can part ways with one of those. Or maybe you could cut it back to every three weeks instead of every two.
- Check for deals and promotions! Even Disney World offers promotions during certain times in the season.
Now, remember, it is important to still live your life and not be so crazy about this whole “stick to a budget” and save thing. Because girl, if you REALLY want something, go ahead and get it. And, don’t forget that it is important to always give to others and the Lord will bless you. So when you go to church on Sunday, donate some of that cash to your amazing church, because they deserve it. And when a friend is in need? Help them out. You will not be sorry and you will not feel any regret toward it. 🙂
Have a fabulous weekend, love! Xoxo ♥♥