Hey hey! Happy Thursday!
We are heading towards the end of the week, and if that doesn’t make you want to jump for joy, than you need to go back to bed, and change your thoughts to get your mind out of the gutter, my friend. 😉
I had such a hard time sleeping last night. My anxiety was striking and I couldn’t really tell you why. I was pretty much awake until 11pm…and if you know anything about me, it’s that I am a grandma and typically go to sleep at 9:30/10 every night. (No shame). To top it off, once I did get to sleep it was kinda lousy and not restful or peaceful at all. To be honest with you (because when am I ever not?) I was huffing and puffing with misery getting up this morning and not jumping for joy like my first paragraph says…but instead of allowing those thoughts of misery into my mind I totally tricked myself into thinking today was the best day ever. I don’t know how or why, maybe I am just a lunatic for this, but (if you couldn’t already tell) I try to be excited for every day and for every little thing in life, life is just so much more fun living like that. So, the excitement that perked me up this morning was the fact that we are one day closer to the weekend. See, I am not a total imposter of telling you to get your mind right when I woke up huffing and puffing myself. 😉 Anyways, this morning started with a little bit of stretching before my workout since I am one sore lady, then got into a 15 minute HIIT circuit I made up on the fly, and a 45 minute incline walk/run.
Since I was feeling all types of anxious/stress/overwhelmed last night, I thought maybe it might be of interest to some of you to give you a couple tips on how I deal with stress.
Things that help me deal with stress
- Work out! Run, walk, do some yoga, do an intense workout, do whatever you want to do, but just get moving. I promise it will help.
- Pray! You all know that this was going to come up on this list here, and realistically this should be number one always. There is no one, or nothing in this world, that can help you ease your stress better than Jesus can. He already knows the battle of your stress that you are fighting, He is just waiting for you to give it to Him. (Check out THIS post I published with some great verses to equip yourself with on the topic of stress and anxiety!!)
- Read. There’s something about getting lost in a book that really helps me to forget (in the moment) about what is going on in the world around me. Bonus if you like to read self help books like I do too!
- Shop. Okay, so this one isn’t really the best or most practical advice, especially if your bank account is yelling at you to make more deposits than withdrawals. But even when I go “window shopping” (online or in person) it releases some of the stress. Retail therapy, people.
- Take a bath (or if you are like me and hate the tub you have, just take a shower). Get some yummy smelling body wash or some yummy bath bombs (which I have yet to try because again, I hate our tub), put on some soothing music, and just relax.
- Have a dance party. Put on some music and dance your little booty off. Do it alone or with another person (however, having a dance party alone really can bring out the best in you..just saying). Add singing your heart out in the mix too, that can totally help.
- Write (or blog). There is something so therapeutic about writing. I don’t know about you, but I have always had a journal when growing up. Even if I didn’t think I had/have anything to write about, there is always something that comes to my mind. If you don’t think you have anything to write about, try starting with something that you are thankful for in that day, or something that made you happy that day. You’ll be surprised with the words that just keep on pouring out of you once you get going.
- Take a nap. I laugh as I type this one because you all know I am not one to take naps (besides recently..apparently), but allowing yourself and your body to just rest can do wonders to your state of mind. I get it, if you are anything like me and feeling way too overwhelmed with stress, than napping is out of the question because your mind won’t stop going a million miles an hour…BUT if you pray first and give all of those worries to the Lord and truly trust Him, you will be shocked at how easy it is to let your body rest.
- Talk to someone about it. Whether it be a close girlfriend, your mama, your sister, your pastor, or your therapist…you must talk about it. You cannot keep all of that stuffed up inside of you when you already feel like you are overwhelmed. Talking about what is going on (to someone whom you trust and someone who you know will not judge you) will make you feel like a ton of bricks has been lifted off of you. And of course, you can talk to the Lord about it always!
- Watch your favorite (Disney) movie, or favorite tv show. Disney and Christmas movies will always make me feel better, along with some of my favorite reality shows…because let’s be honest, watching someone else’s drama (especially Real Housewives) makes your drama seem not so crazy as theirs. Haha!
- Go to the SPA. Getting a massage, facial, ANYTHING at the spa can help ease your stress. I myself have to get my booty to the spa…I know it will help.
Well, that’s all for now, folks! I hope you have found this little list helpful, and if you have any ways different from mine that help you deal with stress, please pass them along! Everyone deals with stress in their lives, but if you have ways to cope with it, than I think you will be okay!
Have a beautiful day loves! Xoxo ♥♥